Senior Research Scientist @ CNRS
Adjunct Senior Research Scientist @ Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
"Peut-on rire de tout? Et pourra-t-on encore demain rire de tout? Ces questions méritent d’être posées..." Cabu
Ecole Normale Supérieure
CERES-ERTI & Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique
24 rue Lhomond
Tel: not available yet
Postal address: 24 rue Lhomond
75230 Paris, FRANCE
E-mail: denis.rousseau [at] lmd.ens.fr
2 inspiring lectures corresponding to my academic mottos:
"You’d have to be out of your mind to choose this planet! It is only pleasant at night when its inhabitants are asleep (The Little Prince)
The Little Prince is wrong. There are those on earth whose integrity, kindness, and generosity of heart make up for the greed and selfishness of the others. For example...." Saint Exupéry dedication of his "The Little Prince"
Science honors and awards
- 1990 CNRS Bronze Medal
- 2004 Humboldt Research Prize Gay-Lussac
- 2007 CNRS Silver Medal
- 2008 EGU Union Service Award (video)
- 2012 Elected member of Academia Europaea (Earth & Cosmic Sciences)
- 2014 Visiting Professor @ Columbia University (Alliance Program)
- 2014-2016 AGU Fall Meeting Program Committee Chair
Civil servant honors and awards
- 2010 Regional French Olympic Committee Languedoc-Roussillon Bronze Medal
- 2012 PI of CLIMCOR project (ANR-11-EQPX-0009-CLIMCOR) funded by the Equipement of excellence Governemtal program (Web page of CLIMCOR) (36 granted proposals over 210): 4.6 Meuros
- 2014 PI of CLIMCOR-Marion Dufresne (2014-EQX-01) funded by the Equipement of excellence Governemtal program: 13 Meuros.
- My research program aims to develop a diverse approach, only a priori, of continental palaeoclimatology and global changes. Indeed, my interests allow me to work at different levels of integration from various records. However they have one point in common which is their connection to the global atmospheric circulation. Indeed, I am studying the loess sequences in the aspect of sediment and dust transport (ANR BLANC project "ACTES" funded 2009-2013 + ADOM initiative under the IGBP PAGES in 2009-2012), which means to address both regionally (Europe, North America, Asia) than globally (via possible teleconnections between the various areas mentioned above) the past dynamics of atmospheric circulation. Therefore, my research activities are grouped into three distinct themes:
- Climate Dynamics during the past climate cycles, both Tertiary and Quaternary
- Relations between recent climate change and Biosphere
- Feedbacks in the environmental systems (PSL priority theme and CNRS thematic school)
- Link to ANR BLANC project "ACTES"
- Link to PSL Paris-Sciences-Lettres Research Foundation
- Link to Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
- Link to Alexander von Humboldt Fundation
European Program H2020
- BG-15-2014: Funded project EU-PolarNet: leader of Workpacakage2: "Polar Research for Science and Society" (2014-2016)
- COP21 Paris: Side event session: ”Artic Change: what it means?"
American Geophysical Union
European Geosciences Union
- EGU website
- EGU Publications
- Co-founder and Co-editor in chief of Climate of the Past IF 2014= 3.382
- Science organization
PAGES (Past Global Changes program of IGBP)
- PAGES website
- Science organization
- Member elected (2010-2015) of the Science Steering Committee (SSC)
- Member elected of PAGES EXCOM (2012-2015)
- Science working group
- Chair of the ADOM (Atmospheric circulation Dynamics during the last glacial cycle: Observations and Modeling) working group
- London 2012: "A Planet under Pressure", co-convener with Eric Wolff and Hubertus Fischer of Theme B, Day 1 session: "How has the planet responded to large climate change pressures in the past?"
- Goa 13-16 February 2013: "Open Science Meeting", member of the Scientific program Committee
French Arctic Initiative
- Scientific Director of FAI (2011-2016)
- Lead convener of the Arctic Session: ”The Arctic Climate System” at "Our Common Future under Climate change" in preparation of COP21
- Presentation of the French Arctic Priorities at a Round Table held at the French Embassy to Finland
INSU-CNRS (Earth Sciences and Astronomy National Institute at CNRS)
- INSU website
- Scientific Officer (2011-2016) in charge of Polar studies and co-organizer of the National Symposium on Arctic Studies, 3-6 june 2013
- Scientific responsible of C2FN (National Drilling and Coring Center)
- PI of CLIMCOR project funded by the Investment for Future Governemtal program
- Member of the Executive Committee of ICDP (2007-2016) (International Continental scientific Drilling Program)
- NSF polar programs (ArcSEES :Arctic NSF’s Science, Engineering and Education for Sustainability)
- CNRS Point contact within ArcSEES
- Belmont-Forum Arctic cooperative research action (Arctic observing and research for sustainability)
- CNRS point contact
- European Polar Board: CNRS delegate (2013-2016)
- CNRS Advanced School (Summer School) Director of "Feedbacks in Environmental Systems - CNRS School Michael Ghil"
PSL* Research University
- PSL* Research University website: member appointed of the Research Council
- PI of the transversal project: Institute of Environment (17 Meuros on PSL main grant) associated to a new building (25 Meuros from the CAMPUS program) devoted to the Institute (both projects have been abandoned by PSL presidency and direction of research)
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Le Figaro du 15 décembre 2014 AGU Program Chair
- Journal du CNRS ETE 2014 (#277) AGU Fall Meeting Program Chair
- EOS du 10 juin 2014 Appointment AGU Fall Meeting Program Chair
- EGU Interview with Denis-Didier Rousseau: President of the European Geosciences Union, Division on Climate: Past, Present and Future, provides an insight into the ever expanding remit of this branch of the EGU.
- Interview given to Normale Sup’info published on March 2012 or on ENS web pages here
- Interview given to AvH foundation for the von Humboldt-Gay Lussac Prize
- First JpGU-AGU joint Union Session through the first Great Debate ever organized at JpGU meetings (Chiba, 2016)
- Interview dans le journal de science Prisma Studio à 20 heures sur Yle TV (chaine finlandaise)
- Video de soutien à l’association Science ouverte de Drancy et au projet d’expédition au Groenland 2016
- Table Ronde FORUM DU CNRS 2015 ”Les Pôles, sentinelles du Changement Climatique”
- Presentation of the French Arctic Initiative (Arctic Circle 2014, Reykjavik)
- EGU Union Award 2008 video
- Open access Publications of EGU (CEA + Ecole Polytechnique) 2008 video
- Lecture at Ecole Normale Superieure 2006 video
- Prud’homme C, Lécuyer C, Antoine P, Moine O, Hatté C, Fourel F, Martineau F & Rousseau DD (2016). Palaeotemperature reconstruction during the Last Glacial from 18O of earthworm calcite granules from Nussloch loess sequence, Germany. Earth Planet Sci. Lett 442, 13-20. doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2016.02.045
- Rousseau DD, Chauvel C, Sima A, Hatté C, Lagroix F, Antoine P, Balkanski Y, Fuchs M, Mellett C, Kageyama M, Ramstein G & Lang A (2014). European glacial dust deposits: Constraints on Atmospheric dust cycle modelling. Geophys. Res. Let. 41, 7666-7674. doi: 10.1002/2014GL061382
- Rousseau DD & Sima A (2014). Abrupt climate change recorded in loes sequences. In Merkel U, Rousseau DD, Stuut JB, Winckler G, Van Guten L & Kiefer T. (ed. ) "Mineral Dust" special issue. PAGES Magazine 22, 2, 30-31.
- Merkel U, Rousseau DD, Stuut JB & Winckler G (2014). Editorial. "Mineral Dust" special issue. PAGES Magazine 22, 2, 3-4.
- Taylor SN, Lagroix F, Rousseau DD, & Antoine P (2014). Mineral magnetic characterization of the Upper Pleniglacial Nussloch loess sequence (Germany): an insight into local environmental processes. Geophys. J. Int. 199, 1463-1480. doi: 10.1093/gji/ggu331
- Li FJ, Wu NQ, Rousseau DD, Dong YJ, Zhang D & Pei YP (2014). Late Miocene-Pliocene evolution of paleoclimate documented by terrestrial mollusk populations in western Chinese Loess Plateau. PLoS ONE 9(4): e95754. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0095754
- Rousseau DD, Ghil M, Kukla G, Sima A, Antoine P, Fuchs M, Hatté C, Lagroix F, Debret M, and Moine O (2013). Major dust events in Europe during marine isotope stage 5 (130–74 ka): a climatic interpretation of the "markers". Clim Past 9, 2213-2230, doi:10.5194/cp-9-2213-2013.
- Sima A, Kageyama M, Rousseau DD, Ramstein G, Balkanski Y, Antoine P, & Hatté C (2013). Modeling dust emission response to North Atlantic millenial-scale climate variations from the perspective of East European MIS 3 loess deposits. Clim Past 9, 1385-1402. doi:10.5194/cp-9-1385-2013
- Fuchs M, Kreutzer S, Rousseau DD, Antoine P, Hatté C, Lagroix F, Moine O, Gauthier C, Svoboda J & Lisa L (2013). The loess sequence of Dolní Vestonice, Czech Republic : A new OSL based chronology of the Last Climatic Cycle. Boreas 42, 664-677. 10.1111/j.1502-3885.2012.00299.x
- Hatté C, Gauthier C, Rousseau DD, Antoine P, Fuchs M, Lagroix F, Markovich S, Moine O, Sima A (2013). Excursions to C4 vegetation recorded in the Upper Pleistocene lœss of Surduk (Northern Serbia): an organic isotope geochemistry study. Clim Past 9, 1001-1014, doi:10.5194/cp-9-1001-2013.
- Antoine P, Rousseau DD, Degeai JP, Moine O, Lagroix F, Kreutzer S, Fuchs M, Hatté C, Gauthier C, Svoboda J & Lisa L (2013). High-resolution record of the environmental response to climatic variations during the last interglacial-glacial cycle in Central Europe : the loess-palaeosol sequence of Dolní Věstonice (Czech Republic). Quat. Sci. Rev. 67, 17-38, doi :10.1016/j.quascirev.2013.01.014.
Recent book chapters
- Antoine P, Moine O, Rousseau DD, Lagroix F, Kreutzer S, Fuchs M, Debret M, Hatté C, Gauthier C, Svoboda J & Lisá L (2016). Loess-palaeosol sequence DV-09 (Dolni Vestonice brickyard: chronostratigraphy and palaeoenvironments. In Svoboda, J., (ed.): ”Dolní Věstonice II. Chronostratigraphy, Paleoecology, Paleoanthropology”. The Dolní Věstonice Studies vol. 21. Brno: Instute of Archaeology (in press).
- Muhs D, Cattle, SR, Crouvi O, Rousseau DD, Sun J & Zarate MA (2014). Loess Records. In P Knippertz & JB Stuut (eds.) « Mineral Dust: A key player in the Earth System» Springer Verlag, 411-441, doi: 10.1007/978-94-017-8978-3_16.
- Hatté C & Rousseau DD (2013). Interface air-sol : les séquences loessiques, marqueur de la circulation atmosphérique passée ? In JC Duplessy & G Ramstein (ed.) “Paléoclimatologie, Enquête sur les climats anciens”. Editions EDP Sciences – CNRS, Paris, T1, 263 – 273.
- Rousseau DD, Schevin P, Ferrier, J, Ledru MP & Duzer D (2009). Existe-’il un transport pollinique vers Clipperton. « L Charpy (ed.), »Clipperton. Patrimoines Naturels », Publications scientifiques du Muséum, 297-308.
- BARRÉ, Pierre /BOUCLE_re>
- CLAESSEN, David
- CLAUSE, Julia /BOUCLE_re>
- COLON, Célian /BOUCLE_re>
- COMBY Emeline /BOUCLE_re>
- GHIL, Michael /BOUCLE_re>
- KERGOMARD, Claude /BOUCLE_re>
- LOŸE, Marie-Dominique /BOUCLE_re>
- OGUTU, Keroboto /BOUCLE_re>
- PRECIGOUT Pierre-Antoine /BOUCLE_re>
- RAZGALLAH, Nadine /BOUCLE_re>
- REGHEZZA-ZITT, Magali /BOUCLE_re>
- ROBERT, Corinne /BOUCLE_re>
- ROUSSEAU, Denis-Didier
- ROUX, Jean /BOUCLE_re>
- SAUTEREY, Boris /BOUCLE_re>
- SIMA, Adriana /BOUCLE_re>
- WEISBUCH, Gérard /BOUCLE_re>
- ZYLBERSZTAIN, Corinne /BOUCLE_re>
- Previous members