Senior Research Scientist @ CNRS - (Délégué Scientifique en charge du suivi des affaires polaires @ INSU)
Adjunct Research Scientist @ Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
"Peut-on rire de tout? Et pourra-t-on encore demain rire de tout? Ces questions méritent d’être posées..." Cabu
Ecole Normale Supérieure
CERES-ERTI & LMD
24 rue Lhomond
Room E026g (level 0)
Tel: +33 1 44 32 27 24
Fax: +33 1 44 32 27 27
Postal address: 24 rue Lhomond
75230 Paris, FRANCE
E-mail: denis.rousseau [at] lmd.ens.fr
Google scholar references
AGU blog "From the Prow": The Symphony that is AGU’s Fall Meeting
2 inspiring lectures corresponding to my academic mottos:
Stay hungry, Stay Foolish! Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement address (2005)
The Path to Sustainable development. Jeffrey Sachs Columbia University lecture (2014)
"You’d have to be out of your mind to choose this planet! It is only pleasant at night when its inhabitants are asleep (The Little Prince)
The Little Prince is wrong. There are those on earth whose integrity, kindness, and generosity of heart make up for the greed and selfishness of the others. For example...." Saint Exupéry dedication of his "The Little Prince"
LMD webpage about AE election
Science honors and awards
Civil servant honors and awards
- 2010 Regional French Olympic Committee Languedoc-Roussillon Bronze Medal
- 2012 PI of CLIMCOR project (ANR-11-EQPX-0009-CLIMCOR) funded by the Equipement of excellence Governemtal program (Web page of CLIMCOR) (36 granted proposals over 210): 4.6 Meuros
- 2014 PI of CLIMCOR-Marion Dufresne (2014-EQX-01) funded by the Equipement of excellence Governemtal program: 13 Meuros.
- My research program aims to develop a diverse approach, only a priori,of continental the palaeoclimatology and global changes. Indeed, my interests allow me to work with different levels of integration from various records. However they have one thing in common which is their connection to the global atmospheric circulation. Indeed, I am studying the loess sequences in the aspect of sediment and dust transport (ANR BLANC project "ACTES" funded 2009-2013 + ADOM initiative under the IGBP PAGES in 2009-2012), which means to address both regionally (Europe, North America, Asia) than globally (via possible teleconnections between the various areas mentioned above) the past dynamics of atmospheric circulation. Therefore, my research activities are grouped into three distinct themes:
- Climate Dynamics during the past climate cycles, both Tertiary and Quaternary
- Relations between recent climate change and Biosphere
- Feedbacks in the environmental systems (PSL priority theme and CNRS thematic school)
- Link to ANR BLANC project "ACTES"
- Link to PSL Paris-Sciences-Lettres Research Foundation
- Link to Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
- Link to Alexander von Humboldt Fundation
European Program H2020
American Geophysical Union
European Geosciences Union
PAGES (Past Global Changes program of IGBP)
- PAGES website
- Science organization
- Member elected (2010-2012) of the Science Steering Committee (SSC)
- Member elected of PAGES EXCOM (2012-...)
- Science working group
- Chair of the ADOM (Atmospheric circulation Dynamics during the last glacial cycle: Observations and Modeling) working group
- London 2012: "A Planet under Pressure", co-convener with Eric Wolff and Hubertus Fischer of Theme B, Day 1 session: "How has the planet responded to large climate change pressures in the past?"
- Goa 13-16 February 2013: "Open Science Meeting", member of the Scientific program Committee
French Arctic Initiative
PSL* Research University
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Rousseau DD, Chauvel C, Sima A, Hatté C, Lagroix F, Antoine P, Balkanski Y, Fuchs M, Mellett C, Kageyama M, Ramstein G & Lang A (2014). European glacial dust deposits: Constraints on Atmospheric dust cycle modelling. Geophys. Res. Let. 41, 7666-7674.
- Rousseau DD & Sima A (2014). Abrupt climate change recorded in loes sequences. In Merkel U, Rousseau DD, Stuut JB, Winckler G, Van Guten L & Kiefer T. (ed. ) "Mineral Dust" special issue. PAGES Magazine 22, 2, 30-31.
- Merkel U, Rousseau DD, Stuut JB & Winckler G (2014). Editorial. "Mineral Dust" special issue. PAGES Magazine 22, 2, 3-4.
- Taylor SN, Lagroix F, Rousseau DD, & Antoine P (2014). Mineral magnetic characterization of the Upper Pleniglacial Nussloch loess sequence (Germany): an insight into local environmental processes. Geophys. J. Int. 199, 1463-1480. doi: 10.1093/gji/ggu331
- Li FJ, Wu NQ, Rousseau DD, Dong YJ, Zhang D & Pei YP (2014). Late Miocene-Pliocene evolution of paleoclimate documented by terrestrial mollusk populations in western Chinese Loess Plateau. PLoS ONE 9(4): e95754. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0095754
- Rousseau DD, Ghil M, Kukla G, Sima A, Antoine P, Fuchs M, Hatté C, Lagroix F, Debret M, and Moine O (2013). Major dust events in Europe during marine isotope stage 5 (130–74 ka): a climatic interpretation of the "markers". Clim Past 9, 2213-2230, doi:10.5194/cp-9-2213-2013.
- Sima A, Kageyama M, Rousseau DD, Ramstein G, Balkanski Y, Antoine P, & Hatté C (2013). Modeling dust emission response to North Atlantic millenial-scale climate variations from the perspective of East European MIS 3 loess deposits. Clim Past 9, 1385-1402. doi:10.5194/cp-9-1385-2013
- Fuchs M, Kreutzer S, Rousseau DD, Antoine P, Hatté C, Lagroix F, Moine O, Gauthier C, Svoboda J & Lisa L (2013). The loess sequence of Dolní Vestonice, Czech Republic : A new OSL based chronology of the Last Climatic Cycle. Boreas 42, 664-677. 10.1111/j.1502-3885.2012.00299.x
- Hatté C, Gauthier C, Rousseau DD, Antoine P, Fuchs M, Lagroix F, Markovich S, Moine O, Sima A (2013). Excursions to C4 vegetation recorded in the Upper Pleistocene lœss of Surduk (Northern Serbia): an organic isotope geochemistry study. Clim Past 9, 1001-1014, doi:10.5194/cp-9-1001-2013.
- Antoine P, Rousseau DD, Degeai JP, Moine O, Lagroix F, Kreutzer S, Fuchs M, Hatté C, Gauthier C, Svoboda J & Lisa L (2013). High-resolution record of the environmental response to climatic variations during the last interglacial-glacial cycle in Central Europe : the loess-palaeosol sequence of Dolní Věstonice (Czech Republic). Quat. Sci. Rev. 67, 17-38, doi :10.1016/j.quascirev.2013.01.014.
Recent book chapters
- Muhs D, Cattle, SR, Crouvi O, Rousseau DD, Sun J & Zarate MA (2014). Loess Records. In P Knippertz & JB Stuut (eds.) « Mineral Dust: A key player in the Earth System» Springer Verlag, 411-441, doi: 10.1007/978-94-017-8978-3_16.
- Hatté C & Rousseau DD (2013). Interface air-sol : les séquences loessiques, marqueur de la circulation atmosphérique passée ? In JC Duplessy & G Ramstein (ed.) “Paléoclimatologie, Enquête sur les climats anciens”. Editions EDP Sciences – CNRS, Paris, T1, 263 – 273.
- Rousseau DD, Schevin P, Ferrier, J, Ledru MP & Duzer D (2009). Existe-’il un transport pollinique vers Clipperton. « L Charpy (ed.), »Clipperton. Patrimoines Naturels », Publications scientifiques du Muséum, 297-308.
Complete list of publications